Monday, August 19, 2013

LIFE AFTER WEEPY TWO WEEKS LATER - STILL CAN'T GET YOU OUT OF MY MIND

Weepy in his 'catbird'  seat, as recently as a month ago...
Weepy was the first pet or first of any species, other than 20 year old April I've lived with for any length of time. Perhaps that's why it's been so difficult to face life without the big guy , whether it be having him next to me on the desk in his 'supervisorial' catbird seat, or on my lap while sitting in the TV recliner, or with Weepy on my legs in bed. I  still get pangs of sadness everytime I think of Weepy and his presence, like right now.


Weepy was the most organized cat. He had his little daily routine unlike most other cats I've had.


He would start off the day waking up on the bed and we'd play a bit with the snake charmer, depending on our moods... then he would it was breakfast time and he'd let me know by going to his bowl for food in the bedroom - yes I had a small auxilliary bowl of kibbles in the back bedroom for them. . If it wasn't full  he would stand by it, patiently waiting for me to fill it. Even if it did have some kibbles he liked when the bottom of the bowl was covered with kibbles. Then he would venture out of the bedroom down the hall to the big water bowl. 

Then, He would normally come into the work area and jump up on the extension of my desk, which became his 'catbird seat,' usually on top of a pile of papers in the 'US Mail box' I use in my mail advertising business.


After sleeping awhile he would get down onto the lower carpeted table where he knew I would  comb him and give him a few treats. Then he would perhaps do some 'chores, going to the patio window, which I would often open for him (screened) for him to smell the outside and see all the nature animals in the back yard - we have deer, squirrels , wild turkeys and lots of birds.


Then, he would often do his slow 'macho'walk over to the round bed in front of the TV, which I had put out for him a few years b ack; ever since it's become one of his favorite places.


In the mid -afternoon he would often go to the back bedroom where he liked the dark, especially
under the covers. Yes , Weepy would pick up the blackets and  scoot way under the covers. Don't know how he breathed but he did.


Then, Weepy was back out and down the hall and to the kitchen, often accompanied by April, for dinner. He wasn't a big wet food eater and tended to eat when he was in the area of the kibbles in the back room.
He'd like to see what was being served for dinner, ie April, anyway. 


After dinner, if and when I went to watch TV -and I tried to watch a little every night, sometimes more to bond with Weepy than to watch one of the ' 57 channels with nothing on' - Weepy would come over and jump up  on my legs as soon as I could sit down. But , first, he would wait for me to put the newspaper on my legs first. For some reason, he liked lying on newspapers...
We'd watch TV for sometimes an hour or more. Sometimes Weepy would get up first and go to the other recliner, which had become his exclusive chair. There he's usually clean himself awhile and relax. Often , if I was still watching TV, he'd come bac k for a second or even third round on my legs. He hated if I were
the first one to get up . I would usually give him some treats when I did. I hated to disturb our 'bonding' sessions but sometimes nature would call or I'd have to go do something...


The back  bathroom doesn't look like this anymore, but much of the food is still left,
for April or Zack, though neither is as good an eater of these healthy foods as Weepy.

Eleven pm and Weepy would wait for me to get ready for bed. He was very patient as some nights I wasn't ready until midnigght or later. But, he was right there on the bed as soon as I got in. And he'd usually stay all night, whereas April would leave and sleep most of the night in her hallway bed. Weepy was the most loyal.


So, life without my buddy and all his little routines can be lonely. It's just hard to not have him here after 16 years. I'll get used to it, I supposed, but I still haven't - and can't  yet- sit in the big recliner and watch TV, knowing he won't be there with me. April and the new cat aren't lap cats ,either, and  even if they were it wouldn't be the same...



One   piece of good news that Weepy left us is that April LIKES the new kidney diet we bought for Weepy , especially, the last month, after discovering it on the internet.  Weepy didn't really like this 'NEO Hi-tor' diet but April sure does. And, thankfully, since April won't eat the vet's kidney diet that Weepy DID like...





No comments:

Post a Comment