Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Weepy Took Care Of Himself in the End, Making the Transition Easier for Us

Weepy Took Care Of Himself in the End, Making the Transition Easier for Us
weepy sleeping on bed with april 8-13
Weepy in his favorite spot on bed, sleeping with April. I would join him later
                                         

               I've been thinking alot about Weepy and his last days and how he / we really had things in control. In fact, things were going so well, I thought, that Weepy might be around awhile, though I knew the doctor's dark prognosis. We'll never know for sure whether it was a sudden embolism or if the kidneys, or heart, suddenly gave out (kidney values had suddenly gone up)...



 In any case, Weepy seemed content, considering, and not unlike the past year. He would come out in the living room  and sit on my lap, go back and eat his food and take care of his personal needs.   The only difference is that when Weepy got suddenly ill the first time, late September, he retreated to the dark closet in the bedroom. That would become his 'base' for his remaining days. He would sleep there most nights and I brought his favorite  bed from the living room so he seemed pretty content. I would bring his favorite foods - not always sure what they were until we tried out from the many varieties I brought in.  I had moved one      of the 'toilets into the back bedroom, not far from the closet. Also, I brought in another water bowl  and located it just outside the closet.



So, it was easier for Weepy to take care of all his needs within a small area , and, at the same time I could be nearby to see how he was doing.   Some nights when I saw him coming out of the closet to his water or toilet I would ask him if he wanted to come up on the bed. He really, truly , communicated with me: he would sit right by the bed if he wanted me to lift him up on it and go to his old , favorite spot on the bed.  Several nights it was like old times with him sleeping the night next to me and April (even April didn't always stay on the bed, opting for her own bed down the hall). 




 During the days, Weepy would still wander out from the back closet - I had given him his food and medicine early in the morning - and come out into the living room and to see my by my desk where I was working  . I would either help him up on his 'catbird perch' or invite him over to the chair where he would jump up on and sit on my lap - even during the day, which we never used to do. I would do whatever I could for Weepy now... every moment with him showing interest was precious. And it was just about like old times again. 



 Tbe silver lining...I had worried about Weepy losing a lot of weight and not eating / wasting away - but none of that happened. Only the last night before I brought him in to the vet for the final time did he not   show much interest in eating, but even then he did eat a little.   



 4 am the next (Friday) morning, August 2, Weepy was not in his bed but listless on the carpet next to the bed. I knew something was wrong and called the vet (open 24 hours, now, fortunately) and brought him right in. I certainly didn't mind taking him in at the early hour. The sooner the better if there's anything they could do for him, and , if not it was nice that there wasn't a lot of activity or a long wait at th is early time. Plus no traffic getting there..   I got the bad news and waited until final tests were taken to confirm the poor prognosis. Then , I waited for them to bring in Weepy and I spend  some time with Weepy, alone, saying my final goodbyes. ...



 Weepy has been with me more than 16 years so it's very tough, as compared to my first four cats who hadn't been with me long.  The  pangs of 'hurt' come early and often and a week and a half later I still can't sit in my TV chair. I keep Weepy's bed in the back closet as a reminder.  



I am fortunate to still have April and now Zack, who only came into my life a little over a year ago after
nearly passing after  left  at  'forclosesure' home. They don't remove the pain of loss but they do help for sure.



Weepy in his catbird seat, surpurvizing my mail advertising business
Weepy in his 'catbird' supervisorial seat only weeks ago while I worked next to him. Works not the same anymore
                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment